MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials which have attracted much attention recently, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and possess shown broad application prospects in many fields. The following is an in depth overview of the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
Precisely What is MAX material?
MAX phase material is really a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material comprising M, A, X elements on the periodic table, collectively referred to as “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, like titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the main group elements, like aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is composed of M, A, X, three of the elements of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Because of their electrical conductivity of metal and high strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, these are commonly used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding along with other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is really a new kind of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material with all the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, consisting of three elements with the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M means the transition metal, A means the main-group elements, and X means the aspects of C and/or N. The MXene material is actually a graphene-like structure obtained from the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MAXenes and MXenes are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials made up of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Uses of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the wonderful physical properties of MAX materials get them to have an array of applications in structural materials. For instance, Ti3SiC2 is a kind of MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which can be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials will also be found in functional materials. As an example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and could be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. In addition, some MAX materials likewise have better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be utilized in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which can be used in energy materials. For instance, K4(MP4)(P4) is one in the MAX materials with high ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which can be used as a raw material to manufacture solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
What Exactly are MXene materials?
MXene materials really are a new form of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, just like the structure of graphene. The outer lining of MXene materials can connect with more functional atoms and molecules, along with a high specific surface area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation ways of MXene materials usually include the etching therapy for the MAX phase as well as the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties such as electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics can be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials really are a new kind of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials comprising metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, such as high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., along with good chemical stability and the cabability to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Uses of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and are popular in energy storage and conversion. As an example, MXene materials can be used electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. Furthermore, MXene materials can also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to boost the activity and stability of the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity can be used in electromagnetic protection. As an example, MXene materials can be used electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, as well as other applications in electronic products and personal protection, enhancing the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and may be used in sensing and detection. For example, MXene materials can be used as gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which could realize high sensitivity and selectivity detection of gases. Furthermore, MXene materials may also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics as well as other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. Down the road, using the continuous progress of technology and science and also the improving demand for services for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application regions of MAX and MXene materials will likely be further expanded and improved. The subsequent aspects may become the main focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mostly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. In the future, new preparation technologies and methods may be further explored to understand a more efficient, energy-saving and eco-friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials has already been high, there is however still room for further optimization. Later on, the composition, structure, surface treatment and other elements of the fabric may be studied and improved thorough to boost the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials have already been widely used in lots of fields, but there are still many potential application areas to become explored. In the future, they could be further expanded, including in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection and other fields.
In conclusion, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show an extensive application prospect in lots of fields. With all the continuous progress of science and technology and the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application regions of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.